Saturday, May 14, 2016

Two Cabbage Whites

Weather for the past few weeks has been cloudy.  I think they are calling it “May Gray”.  The sun was in and out most of the day.  Every time it came out from behind the clouds, butterflies started to appear.  These two cabbage whites (male and female) showed up around 1:30 pm.  They  fluttered around my front porch for a good long while bouncing from flower to flower.  They mostly seemed to enjoy the purple Meadow Sage.  At one point, the female perched herself on a leaf in my rose garden for a moment.  That’s when I was able to get this nice portrait of her.  Did she know I was taking her photo?  It sure seemed that way.  She didn’t move!   She just sat there looking at me while I fumbled around in a panic trying to focus on her tiny body and make sure I had the right aperture and shutter speed.  The male on the other hand, wanted nothing to do with the camera and went about his business extracting nectar from the Meadow Sage.  In addition to the cabbage whites, I saw a few skippers today too.  Unfortunately, I wasn’t fast enough with the camera to get a photo of them.  I’m hoping once the weather brings more sunshine, it will bring more butterflies as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment