Sunday, May 15, 2016

Beginning a Butterfly Habitat / Pollinator Garden & Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, May 2016

This year on May 15th for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, hosted by May Dreams Gardens, I am at the start of creating a butterfly habitat/pollinator garden.  I talked about this briefly in my previous post.  I've been reading up on butterfly gardens and am slowly building up a small butterfly habitat in my urban container garden here in Pasadena, California, Zone 10B.

I should note that my garden is small.  I'm a renter which means I can only do as much as my landlord and space will allow.  But that doesn't stop me.  I love being surrounded by nature and through gardening, I can block out the city with plants, flowers and even some wildlife.

Over the past few years, I've had many visitors to my garden including hummingbirds (they are here year round), all sorts of butterflies, bees and all sorts of insects.  Recently, I've been reading up on some of the native California plants that are attractive to the different butterflies and pollinators, and I've been adding more of these native plants to my garden.

In this blog post I've listed some of the plants I've acquired so far.  Some are new to my garden and others I've grown in the past.  I've noted my success with each plant and have added a photo (when available) and listed what types of pollinators they have attracted.  This is not a complete list, but I'll be updating my blog and recording my progress over the next several months.

Butterfly Milkweed
Most butterflies seem to love this as well as bees.
Monarch caterpillar, 2013
 Monarch, 2013
Swallowtail - 2013
Skipper - 2013
 Coreopsis
A new flower for my garden.
I've seen Cabbage Whites on it so far.
Gaillardia, Blanket Flower
All butterflies.
 Lantana
All butterflies and bees.
Gulf Fritillary - 2013
 Yarrow
Skippers.
 May Night Sage, Meadow Sage
This is a new plant for my garden.
So far it has attracted Cabbage Whites, Skippers and lots of bees.
 Lavender & Yarrow
Bees and Cabbage Whites are attracted mostly to the lavender.
 Salvia "Hot Lips"
 Dahalia
 Butterfly Bush, Buddleia
 Dwarf Bottle Brush
Bees.
 Dill, Host Plant
Black Swallowtail caterpillars.
Black Swallowtail - 2015
Rue, Host plant
Giant Swallowtail caterpillars.
Giant Swallowtail caterpillar - 2015

(I should note here that I have several of each host plant and have also included Parsley and Fennel.) 

 Agastache -
Hummingbirds LOVE this!
 Pentas
 Lavender
Bees, Cabbage Whites.
 Zinnia
 Catmint, Nepta
Bees.

No comments:

Post a Comment