Wednesday, May 18, 2016

How do you choose plants for your pollinator garden? Let the pollinators choose them for you!


If you are reading my blog, you know I’m creating a butterfly/pollinator garden.  I’ve been checking out library books, researching online and trying to get my hands on as much information as possible about what kinds of plants are the most attractive to pollinators.  While I’ve found a lot of really great information, I feel the need to note that the best way that I’ve found to shop for pollinator plants, is to let the pollinator you want to attract choose them for you.

Ever walk into a garden center and find bees swarming around a particular flower?  Or a butterfly that keeps coming back to visit a certain plant?  Well, do you want bees or butterflies in your garden?  Then get that plant!

Recently, I was at my local garden center looking to buy more plants that are attractive to butterflies.  I almost immediately saw a monarch fluttering around just a few feet away.  I headed in that direct and followed her.  Low and behold she lead me directly to the butterfly milkweed which just so happened to be what I’d come to the garden center to get.

I don’t know if this is the best way to shop for plants for your pollinator garden, but so far it’s an obvious method that seems to be working out pretty good for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment