Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Monarch caterpillar on the milkweed!


I was so excited tonight!  I went out on the patio to see if there were any eggs or caterpillars on any of the host plants, and I saw one monarch caterpillar!  I was so happy I danced around the house for about 30 minutes singing "I got a monarch butterfly!".  My husband thinks I'm crazy, although I guess he's used to it by now.

The caterpillar is pretty small.  Maybe about 1 inch long.  From what I’ve researched, I’m gathering he’s on his 4th instar (fancy new word I learned that means the interval between molts).  Fingers crossed he makes it to the next level.  I’m hoping no predators find him and pick him off the milkweed.

I realize a lot of people actually go as far as collecting the eggs and caterpillars and then keep them captive in butterfly tents until they pupate and change into butterflies.  I don’t want to interfere with nature, so I'll just let it run its course.  So far the butterfly garden is off to a good start!

No comments:

Post a Comment