Saturday, May 28, 2016

Butterfly Garden Notes, 5/27/16 & 5/28/16


Came home on a sunny Friday afternoon to find at least two monarchs fluttering around my house.  I was on my way home from the garden center and carrying two new milkweed plants.  Before I could set them down, this female was already trying to land on them.  At one point she was just about sitting on my hand.  It was wonderful.  She went about her business to lay some eggs on the milkweed.  We have wasps in the garden, so I'm hoping they won't find the eggs and eat them.  I've ordered a "Get Lost Wasp" deterrent that looks like a hive (or a Chinese lantern) to hang in the hopes they go someplace else.
The caterpillars on the milkweed on the patio are getting bigger now.
There are also four new eggs that I could see on the milkweed on the patio.
On Saturday, as soon as the sun came out around 12 noon, the female monarch was back.  I'm pretty sure it was the same one because her wings were very tattered.  I was able to get a few nice photos of her.



No comments:

Post a Comment