Monday, June 3, 2013

I attended a rose pruning class at 9 am on Saturday morning at Armstrong Garden Center.  It was a wonderful class.  Very informative.  I think it's great that these classes are offered to the public at no cost, and on top of it I received a 10% off coupon at the end of the class.  

Some of the things Debbie, the instructor, said really hit home.  For instance, coming home from work and wanting to do nothing but rush outside into the garden.  She mentioned that she had over 200 roses!  If only I had the space!  I'd be just like her.  It really is an obsession rooted deep in the soul.

After class I took a look around and brought home some new additions:  Red Butterflies Milkweed, Phoenix Pink Penstemon, Spirit Frost Spider Flower and another Rosemary plant that I put in the garden bed with the other 2 Rosemary plants and the Coriander.  

I must say I am super excited about the Moon Flower Vine that is growing next to the front porch step. I don't have a photo of it, but it seems to grow bigger each day.  Actually, it seems like all of my plants are growing larger and larger.  Maybe there's something in the water here?  Everything just looks so content.  I really am enjoying the Spring and the beauty of it all.

In the side garden, the Tomato/Pepper bed is growing wild.  I really wish I would have staked the tomato plants when they were little.  I really don't know why I didn't, and now I'm kicking myself.  The tomatoes are ripening, but many of them are hidden under the stalks.  Live and learn I guess.  I picked a handful of cherry tomatoes and they are delicious.  I also picked one ripe tomato (I think it was Early Girl), but it had a nice big hole in it.  I hope the worm that got to it before I did enjoyed it.  

Here are some images in and around the garden from this weekend:

New Spider Flower

Passionate Kisses



New Penstemon in Phoenix Pink


Agastache


Fragrant Plum


Apple Blossom Yarrow


Apple Blossom Yarrow


Apple Blossom Yarrow


Sheila's Perfume


Sheila's Perfume


Sugar Moon


Ketchup and Mustard


Sometime before 7 am



Moonshine Yarrow


Sparkle and Shine


Iceberg


Butterfly Weed



Foxglove


My Hydrangea that I mail ordered from Burgess is starting to bloom


Foxglove - can't get enough of them


Azalea 


Queen Anne's Lace


Tomato and Pepper bed - I really should have caged or staked these tomatoes -- what a mess



No comments:

Post a Comment