Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Butterfly Garden Notes, June 22, 2016

The swallowtail caterpillars are getting so big now, and at least one of them is starting to develop its green color.  I cannot believe how quickly these caterpillars increase in size!  Now that they're large enough to easily see, I was able to count 7 total on the dill.  Yikes!  I think I'm going to need more dill to feed these eating machines!

So as I was moving pots around because I wanted to get a photo of the swallowtail cats, I found a monarch chrysalis!  Yay!  It's attached to pot of a penstemon flower I have setting on top of a small table on the patio.  I would have never even seen it had I not wanted to get a photo of the swallowtails and started moving things around.  This is so exciting!  I really, REALLY hope this guy makes it since the last chrysalis I found was eaten on the same day.  Ugh.  I wonder how many other chrysalises there could be in my garden that I haven’t found.  

Lastly, I noticed that there’s something on my rue.  It’s very small, and I couldn’t tell if it was a caterpillar or not, but I’ll be keeping an eye on that just in case.

Every day there is a new surprise!  Butterfly gardening is so much fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment