Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Butterfly Garden Notes, June 21, 2016

Today I noticed a new monarch at about its 4th instar on the milkweed on the patio.  This one is on the plant that is by itself with some of the other host plants on the opposite side of where I have the majority of the milkweed.  It's really hard for me to see because it sits up high, but I was able to spot him when I was watering.  Great to know that they are definitely finding all the available plants I have for them!  Here's a photo of that shelf with the single milkweed and some of the other host plants (dill, rue, fennel).

Also, I should note that tonight while I was watering the front porch, that darn monarch caterpillar that keeps showing up everywhere showed up yet again!  I thought for sure he had gone off and turned into a chrysalis the night before last but nope... there he was again.  This time I was watering my brugmansia and he somehow managed to get himself into the pot.  I saw him crawling around all wet from the hose.  Poor thing.  I picked him up and put him on the milkweed (again) and in the morning he was gone.  I hope I don't see him again tonight and I hope he found a nice safe place in my garden to pupate.  Godspeed Mr. Caterpillar!

No comments:

Post a Comment