Monday, June 6, 2016

Butterfly Garden Notes, 6/6/2016: Case of the Missing Chrysalis

Last night I came home from work to find that Harry’s chrysalis was gone.  I couldn’t believe it.  I was so upset.  I thought maybe the leaf he attached himself to had fallen off, so I went outside to the patio and started moving plants out of the way to see if I could find it and nothing.  I started checking the leaves on the vine to see if maybe I just didn’t see it.  That’s when I discovered what was left.  The pupa was completely gone and the only thing there was the silk button stuck to the underside of the leaf and cremaster.  What a loss.  I was completely bummed out.  I wish I knew what got to it.  I guess it could be a number of things --wasp, spider, ants, praying mantis maybe?  Ugh!
After the initial shock of losing Harry, I went out to water the garden.  Afterwards I started searching the milkweed for more monarch eggs and caterpillars.  Thankfully, I did find at least one monarch egg and one tiny caterpillar on the milkweed in front of the house.  I am not getting my hopes up for another Harry, but at least I know the circle of life continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment