Monday, June 27, 2016

Butterfly Garden Notes, June 25 & 26, 2016

It appears most of the swallowtails have left the host plants save for the littlest one who just molted away all of his black skin.  As of Sunday night, only he and one larger one were left.  I noticed the larger caterpillar crawled from the dill and began eating the fennel.  Good to know they also like fennel in case I run out of dill.  They really devoured the plants I had in a matter of a few days!  I just can’t believe how fast these little guys grew up.  I’m sure they are somewhere closeby getting ready to make a chrysalis, but I don’t like moving my pots around and disturbing things too much, so I won’t go looking for them.  It seems most of the time I eventually stumble upon them by accident anyway.

I noticed one of the monarch eggs that I found was being eaten by something.  It was too tiny to be able to see what it was, but hopefully the monarch that was here earlier in the week laid more eggs that I just haven’t seen.  It seems sad now to have a garden with no visible monarch caterpillars, but I do still have those two monarch chrysalises to look forward to and I’m sure there are more monarch eggs.  It’s just so sad to know how few of the monarchs actually get to become butterflies when you aren’t raising them in a cage.  

Since this weekend was scorching hot, I didn’t spend too much time outside in the afternoon.  I was very lucky on Saturday morning to catch an American Lady nectaring on the milkweed on the patio.  I also saw many skippers, and the marine blue seems to really enjoy the feverfew.  The faithful cabbage white paid a visit too.  In addition, I spotted the sulphur again which seemed to flutter up to my bungalow but didn’t stay.  Also, when I went to take the garbage out, I saw a fritillary fluttering around the courtyard.  I didn’t notice it stop by my garden though.  

Below are a few photos from the weekend.







No comments:

Post a Comment