Sunday, June 12, 2016

Butterfly Garden Notes, 6/12/2016

This weekend was unusually cool for June.  The marine layer didn’t lift at all on Saturday and the weather was cool and even misting most of the day.  Not good butterfly watching weather!  Sunday was about the same minus the drizzle.  Fortunately, around 2:30 the sun finally came out. As soon as it did, the butterflies were all over my garden within seconds!  Literally!  I saw a lot of Skippers, two Marine Blues both male and female and a female Cabbage White who appeared to be ovipositing on the nasturtium.  Besides the adult butterflies, there are at least three monarch caterpillars at various instars on the milkweed on the patio.  I’m learning not to get too excited about these caterpillars since I know raising them outside of captivity lessens their chances of ever making it to adulthood.  Nevertheless, it’s nice to know I do have caterpillars in the garden and I feel good about having created a habitat to host them.

Lastly, I stopped by the garden center and picked up some dill and some rue to put on the front porch.  As I was potting up the dill, I noticed two yellow/orange eggs which I believe may be some sort of swallowtail eggs.  Score!  Fingers crossed that they hatch before any predators find them.

Male Marine Blue resting in the roses
Female Marine Blue on Rose


Skipper on Milkweed
Duskywing on Milkweed
Female Cabbage White on Catmint

No comments:

Post a Comment