Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Spring is in the air and Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day, January 2015

I know I am not the only person feeling this way, but I am DYING to get back to gardening!  I know what some of you may be thinking, “You live in Southern California.  You can garden ALL YEAR!”.  Well yes, this is true, I am not up to my ears in snow and ice and it was 70 degrees today, but I am still missing my Spring and Summer flowers!

This year’s garden will be a challenge… A challenge in that I won’t be able to have as many of the beautiful flowers,  plants and vegetables that I once had since the landlord paved over a large portion of my garden.  It has been difficult to deal with and I try not to think about it, but it’s hard.  Right now my side garden would have been full of huge calla lilies, and I probably would have been harvesting broccoli and cauliflower.  Unfortunately, now it’s just full of gravel and a small tree that looks miserable.  The side yard is ugly and useless.

I’ve also cut back on the amount of plants I keep in front of the house.  I just lost the desire to do anything to make it look nice knowing it could all be destroyed at the discretion of a landlord.  Thankfully, I’ve been able to keep my rose garden.  I have 8 of them all in large pots.  I also still keep some potted plants and flowers on the front porch, but I will not plant anything in the ground.  I learned my lesson as I watched in horror as the bulldozers dug up all the bulbs I planted last spring.

At least I have the private patio.  This is where I’ve been keeping my most precious beauties.  The issue now is space.  I don’t have enough of it.

Last Spring in the front of the house I planted daffodils, hyacinth, iris, and muscari just to name a few.  In the Summer, I planted foxgloves and all different kinds of wildflowers.  Sadly, they were all planted in the ground.  They looked so beautiful in front of the potted roses. It makes me cringe knowing I have to buy them all AGAIN.  But this time I will plant them in pots.

Since the construction, my tiny patio mostly has become an herb garden. It is amazing.  The scent is wonderful, and I enjoy concocting potions of herbal teas and being able to grab a handful of this or that for cooking…. But where to find room for everything else I’d like to plant?  Some strategic rearranging is going to have to happen.  I don’t know how… but it will.

Today I dropped by the garden center and low and behold, they already had tulips, hyacinth, daffodils and anemone.  I also bought one calla lily to replace the many I used to have that were so sadly paved over  For good measure, I threw in a fresh catnip.

This is going to be a busy weekend.  I was planning to prune the roses.  Now I will also be potting up the new flowers and attempting to make space for them on the patio.

If you’ve made it all the way through this blog entry, I will leave you with just a few images of what's currently blooming in my garden on Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens.

Scented Pelargonium 

Canterberry Bells
Nasturtium


Ivy Geranium
Marjoram - I love the knotted flowers.
Peppermint - This herb has been so wonderful over the winter in tea.
Some of the Roses.
Ketchup & Mustard
 Sparkle & Shine

Oh and I forgot to mention, over the holidays, I made a terrarium!


2 comments:

  1. Nice collection of blooms. I love the nasturtiums and geraniums. I also love the scented geraniums. I like to grow several of them in my garden

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss my spring and summer flowers too, and I have lots of flowers right now so I know what you mean - can’t wait for my roses and lilies to bloom again! Too bad about the loss of part of your garden, but you can grow a lot of things in containers, including vegetables, so upwards and onwards :-)

    Nice to see your nasturtiums, I haven’t grown them for many years, they are such cheerful flowers. I tried making a terrarium too some years ago, but the sun caught it every afternoon, it got too hot and the plants ‘cooked’ inside the glass. Lesson learned I guess!
    Good luck with planting this week-end, that’s what I will be doing too!

    ReplyDelete