Thursday, March 20, 2014



My Heirloom roses had their first bloom and what a show it was! Big full blooms with a fragrance to die for! I cut one rose and put it in a vase with some mint, and the aroma filled the room as I sat painting roses on Sunday afternoon.




I couldn’t garden this weekend. I somehow injured my scapula muscle in my neck and shoulder and the doctor says I can’t garden for at least a week! It took a lot of willpower not to do any work this weekend, so I did the next best thing... I painted flowers!



I did, of course, go out to the garden and make mental notes of what work needs to be done when I am able. While browsing, I found this lovely sphinx moth resting in the Dusty Miller. I also found some grasshoppers who are already eating the new foliage on my roses. The new purple shoots must taste delicious. Grasshoppers are such a nuisance! However, I can’t bring myself to squash them like some gardeners do. I only pluck them off the plants and walk them away from the house. I really should collect them in a jar and drive them farther away because they always seem to find their way back to my garden.




I took a photo of the Heirloom blooms and the lovely Dutch Irises together. None of these flowers disappointed me. Absolutely gorgeous!




Another favorite of mine is this beautiful Bleeding Heart which I planted next to the Autumn Fern in the side garden. It’s already blooming. This one sprung up fast from the root. I planted two more (one in a pot and one in the soil) that are not too far behind the first.


Speaking of favorites, one of the Foxgloves I planted in the soil in front of the house have started to bloom. This one is dalmation peach. Not sure what the second one will be, as it’s just now sending up a spike.


Another pleaser is the Delphinium. I have a showy front row display from my window of a huge, pure white spike mixed in with the blue. So lovely!


On the porch, I planted more Columbine in a container. This one is called Songbird mix. I love Columbine and now have 4 containers full of these; Songbird, White, Blue and Red.


Lastly, I’ve dubbed the side garden as “The Fairy Garden.” It is growing so full! I have: Calla Lily, Foxgloves, Lobelia, Yarrow, Lily of the Valley, Pincushion Flower, Orchids, Butterfly Milkweed, Hollyhocks (I can’t wait until these bloom), Ivy, Cape Mallow, Strawberries, Fuschia, Azalea, Hellbore, Autumn Fern, Geranium, Rosemary, various herbs – you name it! It’s quite a lot and I am going to need to do some work on it soon. Especially because I did a big “no no” -- I planted Chocolate Mint in the soil. Oops. I know, I know. You’re not supposed plant mint in the ground because it takes over the garden, but the aroma was irresistible! The one I planted had been in a container and was just about dying due to the fact that it had become root bound. I almost gave up on it, but I couldn’t let it go.... that smell... it was just too good. I may regret this later, but for now, I will hope I can keep it under control.





Tea with Orchids.


Foxglove friends.
















1 comment:

  1. Foxgloves are one of my favorites. I love the exclamation marks of color they add to the spring garden! I really like your apricot colored one! You have some lovely flowers growing in your cottage garden!

    ReplyDelete