Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A painting of a Hummingbird Moth I did a few weeks ago:
It was a month or so ago when I was searching the internet and randomly stumbled upon a species of moth called a Hummingbird moth.  I went on to read about this family of moths called Sphingidae.  These moths are easily mistaken for Hummingbirds in the way they flutter about and hover over flowers collecting nectar.  I thought they were so beautiful, and I’ve since become a little obsessed with this species which also includes the Sphinx moth.  Up until now I had never seen one of these beautiful creatures, even when I lived in Pennsylvania.  I’d also never imagined I’d ever have the honor of having one visit my own garden.  It was Sunday evening.  They day had been unusually cloudy and overcast but it was warm.  Around 8:30 pm I was standing at the front door looking out admiring the garden as I often do when the neighborhood is quiet….  then there it was.  I couldn’t believe what I was seeing – this moth that I’d been obsessing over flitting about my own flowers.  It went back and forth with its long tongue taking the nectar from the Agastache and onto the Asters and then the Lantana.  I was astonished.  I had to call my boyfriend to the door to confirm I wasn’t imaging it.  The moment was magical.  I watched the moth for as long as he stayed.  The experience made my entire weekend!  Needless to say I have spent the past several evenings glancing out the door every few minutes around 8:30 pm in the hopes my new friend will return.  So far I have not seen him again, but I am grateful for that one magical moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment