Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Butterfly Garden Notes, May 28 - May 29, 2017

This weekend I saw a Mourning Cloak (Nymphalis antiopa) in my butterfly garden.  It spent most of its time nectaring on the butterfly bush (Buddleja davidii).  It arrived around 11 am and stayed for several hours.  A male Monarch has been showing up around 10 or 10:30 am for the past several days.  I can’t help but wonder if he was born in my garden.  He'll come and go throughout the day and stays until late afternoon.
  
I checked the milkweed in the front of the house and on patio and all plants are loaded with monarch eggs.  There were at least six new monarch caterpillars on the patio milkweed and I'm sure there are caterpillars in the front garden, although since those plants aren't high up on shelves, they're harder to spot unless I go around turning the leaves over.  
A Gulf Fritillary was spotted fluttering around the zinnia although I wasn't able to get a photograph.  As usual the skippers were plentiful and also a few dusky wings came by for a bite to eat.

May 28, 2017
Mourning Cloak




 Male Monarch
 Fiery Skipper
 Funereal Duskywing
Male Monarch

May 29, 2017
Mourning Cloak
 Fiery Skipper


 Funereal Duskywing


No comments:

Post a Comment