Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Butterfly Garden Notes, May 21, - May 23, 2017

May 21, 2017

There has been a steady flow of monarchs visiting my garden to lay eggs.  I've also seen quite a few caterpillars both in the front garden as well as on the few milkweed plants I have on the back patio.  I try not to disturb the pots too much because when I do, that's when I usually find the caterpillars and I don't want to accidentally squash them by moving things around.  I've also seen baby praying mantises both in the front garden and on the patio which isn't good for the caterpillars, but that's nature.  I saw the first fritillary of the year fluttering around the courtyard and then stopping by to nectar on the zinnia.  The usual crew is also present:  cabbage whites, skippers, sulphers, and dusky wings.  Here are some images I took with my good camera over the weekend.





I love it when I'm able to catch them in flight.
May 23, 2017
This caterpillar was on the milkweed plant on the back patio last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment