Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Happy New Year 2016!


I haven’t been updating much lately because I’ve been devoting most of my time to my photography.  I’ve been going to the local gardens; Descanso Gardens, The Los Angeles County Arboretum and Botanical Garden, and also the Huntington Library, Art Collections and Botanical Gardens.  In 2015, I photographed one of these three gardens at least once a week, if not more on occasion.  I have been keeping up with my garden, but maybe not as much as I did in the past few years where I was running to buy new plants every single weekend.  Nowadays, my roses are established and I have a nice sized collection of scented pelargoniums on my patio.  I continue to refresh all the herbs in my garden as needed (they are a staple), and for a splash of color, I usually change out my annuals.  

This past weekend was rose pruning weekend.  I had 8 of them to do.  It didn’t take me that long, but it was more of a matter of cleaning up the canes afterwards.  

One of my potted brugmansia trees set its roots in the ground and busted through its pot.  We had to pull it up due to the landlord.  Luckily we pulled it out, roots and all and I put it in a larger pot.  I moved it to a different part of the house right in front of our bedroom window where it won’t be able to grow into the ground.  When it blooms we’ll be able to enjoy that heavenly Angel Trumpet scent!  I also repotted my second brugmansia into a larger pot.  It was way overdue and was constantly toppling over every time we got our strong Santa Ana winds.

Since the roses were pruned and the garden looked bare, I needed a little something to brighten up the front of the house.  I picked up some yellow, blue and purple viola, foxgloves and delphinium.  Soon the spring plants and flowers will be arriving and I’ve been trying to hold myself back from purchasing too much now and just wait until closer to spring.  In the past I’d sometimes find myself going to the garden center and buying anything just so I’d have something to plant, even if it wasn’t necessarily something I really wanted.  My plan this year is to be more selective.  I’m only going to buy the things I really love.  I think over the years I’ve learned enough about gardening to know what I love and don’t love so I can be more selective.  We’ll see how that goes.

Since I don’t have any photos to show today, I’ll leave you with a link to my Flickr page where you can see the garden photography I have been doing over the past several months.

Danielle Bedics-Arizala Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment