Saturday, May 23, 2015

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - May 2015 - My Scratch 'N Sniff Garden

I am a little behind for Garden Bloggers' Bloom day hosted by May Dreams Gardens, but better late then never.  Here's what's going on in my 4'x10' Pasadena, California Zone 10B Patio Garden...

Scented Pelargoniums!  Pelargoniums!  Pelargoniums!  Or if you rather, Scented Geraniums.  This obsession all started because I asked the nice young man at the garden center if he had a smaller pot of "Attar of Roses" Scented Pelargonium.  He didn't, but he offered me half off this beauty!  How could I resist!  The fragrance... WOW!  I was in heaven.  He said they weren't selling very well.  Most people don't understand that the fragrance is in the leaves and NOT the flowers.  They may be old fashioned, but I am utterly spellbound by their many enchanting fragrances.

Attar of Roses - Scented Pelargonium
This of course put me on a quest... I want to collect them all!  Okay, obviously, that's not going to happen.  There are too many varieties and let's face it... I have NO room!  While that totally sucks, I can still make the best of the space I have.  I have started a small collection, and here they are:

Orange Fizz - Strong Orange fragrance.
Sweet Mimosa - People say this smells like roses.  I think it smells like champagne, but that's why the fragrances of Scented Pelargoniums are so subjective.  This one makes lovely pink flowers.
Next is Rober's Lemon Rose.  It definitely smells like Lemon Rose!  And pretty pink flowers too.
Lemon Fizz - Not a very strong scent, but still pretty anyway.
Aroma - Smells like... apples?  VERY strong scent!  Delicious!
True Rose - Very fancy.  Strong rose scent and beautiful leaves to boot.
Nutmeg - Another one with a VERY strong scent.  Dainty white flowers.  Spicy!
Chocolate Mint - Large fuzzy leaves and a strong Minty fragrance.  I'm told this one prefers shade.
Gray Lady Plymouth - Her leaves are elegant and fancy.  To me, she smells like minty rose.  One of my favorites in the garden with dainty pink flowers.
Since the Victorians used Scented Pelargoniums in many recipes, I thought I'd give it a try.  It was a chilly overcast day, so I decided to bake some Attar of Roses leaves into a vanilla cake and... Wow!  Can I just tell you how amazing this this made the house smell while it was baking.  The taste has just enough hit of the rose scented leaves.  Delightful!
Besides my recent obsession with Scented Pelargoniums, here is a run down on the rest of the patio garden, much of which is also fragrant.

Bee Balm is beginning to bloom.
Top hanging pots:  Ivy, Lavender-Munstead, Catmint and Spanish Lavender
Maidenhair Fern, Clematis and Attar of Roses Scented Pelargonium
Bottom far left:  Spear Fern, Bird Cage:  Rabbit Foot Fern
Bottom shelf:  Dragon Wing Pink Begonia, Yellow Rigers Begonia, Catmint
Front pot right:  Gray Lady Plymouth Scented Pelargonium
Bottom row between shelves:  Helleborus (which is about done blooming for the season).
Bottom Shelf:  Chocolate Mint Scented Pelargonium, Pink Elf French Hydrangea
Two Miniature Roses (I've had these forever.), 
Dusty Miller - I love the silvery gray foliage.
Thyme, Rosemary, Catnip
Sweet Mimosa, Lemon Fizz and Orange Fizz Scented Pelargoniums
Helleborus at the end of its bloom.
Campanula - Canterbury Bells in between bloom cycles and Tuberous Begonia
Middle shelf:  Thyme (on shelf hiding behind the long Mugwort branch), Parsley, Chocolate Mint
Peppermint, Cilantro, Catnip
Foxglove (I cut the spike since it went to seed after its bloom time.), Rober's Lemon Rose Scented Pelargonium
Sweet Peas - This was a large potted vine but I cut it back and noticed that it had set seed and had already started to grow a new vine.  We'll see how long they last.  I image when the heat comes, they won't be very happy.
In the basket is Lily of the Valley, Fuchsia, English Primrose, Oregano
Two Miniature Roses, Fairy Primrose, Mugwort and Patchouli
Foxgloves, True Rose Scented Pelargonium, Foxgloves
Hanging Pots:  Lavender-Munstead, Lavender-Munstead and Mandevilla
On the Potting Table back to front:  Yarrow - Apple Blossom, Yarrow - Moonshine
Aroma Scented Pelargonium, Dill
Lemon Verbena, Nutmeg Scented Pelargonium
In the front Foxgloves, in the background against the doors, Hollyhocks - "Henry Eight Pink"
Lemon Callas are coming up in the pot with Feverfew and there are some Forget Me Nots hidden in there too that sprouted up from seed.
On the ground:  Two Lavenders (I think they are Hidcote), Borage
Basil, Sweet Marjoram (I love the smell of this herb,) Rue and in the front is Chamomile
Provence French Lavender, Lavender Grosso and English Lavender
White Sage, Lavender Lady, Bee Balm
And here are some other views of the patio in both directions:
I should note that under the potting table is a basket full of Nasturtium.  
I didn't get a good photo of them.
This is a Freesia bulb I stuck in with the Foxgloves.  I guess it found it's way out and decided to bloom.  Very fragrant!
And lastly, here is a picture of the swallowtail caterpillar who has decided to make a buffet out of my Dill.  To date he is now in the Chrysalis stage, soon to become a beautiful swallowtail butterfly.
If you have visited my blog and made it this far, I'd love to hear from you, especially if you are a small space urban gardener like me or if you love Scented Pelargoniums!

1 comment:

  1. I never knew there was so much variety in this species, and of course, like most people, I am used to flowers rather than leaves. However, this piece got me thinking and indeed I would love to see some of these leaves that have fragrance, which made you feel heaven. I like the taste and how passionate you are about them too.

    Norberto @ Thorburn Landscapes

    ReplyDelete