Monday, April 20, 2015

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, April 2015

Here’s what’s happening in my small space, Pasadena, CA container garden for GBBD April 15, 2015, celebrated each month at May Dreams Gardens


My roses in the front of the house are still blooming.  It seems they never stopped since they started! I didn’t take photos of all of them, but here are just a few:

Passionate Kisses
Heirloom 
 Fragrant Plum
I haven’t done anything new to the front porch and have the same plants out there as I’ve had for a while which are mostly herbs and some flowers.  I didn't take any photos because I don’t spend as much time in the front of our bungalow as I used to.  Most of my time is now focused on the plants I have on the patio.  Even though the space is only 4’x10’, it’s much more private and I can garden without being distracted by neighbors, a landlord or the hobos and crazy people who walk up and down our street.

So onto the patio…  As always, I am growing my favorite flower of all time, Foxgloves.  I have 4 of them in pots and I learned last year that they do quite well in containers.  In fact, I have two more potted in the front of the house that bloomed last year and they are blooming again this year.  I know they are supposed to be biennial, but rules don’t really apply in the Southern California climate, like they do everywhere else.  
(These are actually potted out in front of the house by the roses.)


 (And the following are on the patio on a shelf.  They are towering over the cement wall and you can see the tops of them from the street.)
The next addition I’m very excited about is the Chevalier Clematis.  I had a Clematis last year, but I lost it when the landlord paved over my side garden.  I had planted in the ground, but this one will stay in a pot.  I heard they do well in containers, so let’s see how it goes:  
Next are my lovely pink Canterbury Bells/Campanula.  I had a purple Campanula earlier in the year and it bloomed for a very long time.  It had just about stopped and was looking tired, so I replaced it with with this pink one.  The bees seem to love this flower.  Actually, the bees seem to love all my flowers.  It’s very interesting to me how bees, sphinx moths, hummingbirds and various butterflies all seem to find my garden, even though it’s just a tiny patio hidden behind high cement walls.  
Another favorite of mine is Catmint.
I also have some Apple Blossom Yarrow.
Last year I had Hollyhocks growing in my side garden.  They grew to be 8 feet tall.  I was so upset when the landlord paved over them.  But this year I thought I'd try growing them in a pot and they are doing great!  This variety is called "Henry Eight Pink".  I'm so excited I was able to have them again this year.

White Sage that I purchased at the Los Angeles Arboretum.
Cleome
 Penstemon

And here are some images I took with my phone camera of all the shelves and plants/flowers on the patio:  

On this shelf from left to right/top to bottom:
Campanula, Scented Geranium "True Rose" (There's also another scented Geranium called "Aroma" that's on the other shelf to the left next to the Campanula)
3 miniature Roses
Thyme, Primrose, Fuchsia
Dusty Miller, Fairy Primrose, Lemon Balm
In the corner:
Ivy (in the orange pot), Maidenhair Fern, Spear Fern, Rosemary
On the shelf to the left:
Top:  Clematis, Basil, Catnip
Bottom:  Dragon Wing Begonia, Reiger's Begonia, Catmint

On shelf:  Lavender Lady, Sweet Marjoram, Rue, Cosmos, Chamomile
On the ground:  Various pots of Lavender, Grosso, Hidcote, Provence
White Sage, Rosemary, Yarrow, Apple Blossom, Sage, Lamb's Ear, Hyssop
Patchouli
Hellborous - Pink Frost
Various types of Lavender - Hidcote, Provence, Grosso
Lavender, Cosmos, Sweet Marjoram, Chamomile, Rue
Foxglove - Camelot Lavender, Hollyhock
Lavender - Munstead, Alyssum, Mandevilla, Cleome, California Poppy, Borage, Penstemon, Dill, Bee Balm
Lily of the Valley - it did not flower this year.
Miniature rose, Oregano, Mugwort
Chocolate Mint, Cilantro, Catnip
Thyme, Parsley, Peppermint
Columbine
Thyme, Primrose, Fuchsia, Dusty Miller, Fairy Primrose, Lemon Balm, Rosemary, Spear Fern
Ivy, Lavender Lady, Clematis, Catmint, Spanish Lavender
Basil, Catnip, Maidenhair Fern, Dragon Wing Begonia Rieger's Begonia, Catmint
3 pots of Columbine - none have bloomed yet this year.  Not sure what they are waiting for.
Lavender (Munstead), Alyssum, Mandevilla
Cleome, Calendula, Borage
Hollyhock
Foxglove - Camelot lavender
Foxglove - Foxy
Foxglove - Camelot lavender








No comments:

Post a Comment