Sunday, February 15, 2015

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, February 2015

Here's what's blooming in my Pasadena, California USDA Hardiness Zone 10b for

Well while half the country is up to its ears in snow and ice, I'm enjoying sunshine and 80 degree weather.  I want to complain that it's too hot, but I guess considering the alternative, I will just keep that to myself.  

Onto what's blooming...
I'm nearing the last of my Spring blooming bulbs, and these beautiful lipstick red Tulips are the final ones I planted.  I'm always sad to see them finish, but there's always next year to look forward to.  

More red Tulips only these are multi colored with white.



The lipstick red Tulips just before they started to open.


Calendula - an edible flower.  I don't know.  I just can't see myself eating my flowers.  Is that weird?  I use my culinary herbs for cooking, and that doesn't bother me, but flowers... 
I couldn't sample the Nasturtiums either.  Much too pretty to eat I think.


African Violets.  
I got these for my kitchen.  They sit next to a miniature Orchid and a small Fern.  I love African Violets.  Seems so old fashioned.  They're just so common, but look how beautiful.  If I had the room, I'd have an entire window full of them in different colors.


Fairy Primrose.
So different from English Primrose that I used to have.  I've been reading some books about Gertrude Jekyll and Primrose was a favorite of hers.  After seeing some images from her Primrose copse I felt inspired.  I also couldn't resist that these were called Fairy Primrose.


And last but not least, I needed to show off an image of one of the Pink Hyacinth.  This is no longer in bloom, but it was so wonderful and I enjoyed its fragrant scent.


As for other blooms, I've been spending a lot of time photographing at the
 Los Angeles County Arboretum.  You can see those photos on my Flickr page here.

I hope you enjoyed seeing what's blooming in my tiny urban container garden.  Feel free to leave me a comment or share a link to your garden too.

5 comments:

  1. All your blooms are lovely. I especially admire the tulips since I have zero luck with growing them here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorothy, I bought the tulips "in the green". I don't know if they'd have bloomed otherwise. I planted some last year in the ground, but those were dug up during the construction so I'll never know if they would have bloomed this year or not. I did discover two hyacinth bulbs that somehow survived the construction so I dug them up and potted them. The did bloom but only short and stubby. I guess maybe the winters don't get cold enough for them here? I remember growing up in Pennsylvania, all the bulbs would sprout up in spring no problem... daffodils, hyacinth, tulips. I'm still trying to figure out what I can and can't grow in Southern California.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see not wanting to eat your perfect calendulas--way too pretty on the plant! Nasturtiums, however, for me were so plentiful that I could weed them from the garden and have a salad to show for my efforts. Congrats on your tulips. The only ones to ever have come back next year for me are some of the more Mediterranean low-chill species. But they're not the extravagant beauties of the kinds you've got blooming away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't sample the Nasturtiums either! But then again I only had one pot growing so I just couldn't bring myself to try one. I have to admit I cheated on the tulips... I got them from the garden center when they were just sprouting up from the bulb. I grew up in Pennsylvania, so of course now that I live in California I'm trying to grow all the things that don't like to grow here. : / Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Lovely tulips, and the calendula – well, I have heard it’s edible too but I haven’t tried it. I have however tried eating Primula vulgaris, but it didn’t taste much. Your primrose is lovely, I have also discovered how many different primroses there are besides the normal Primula vulgaris :-)

    ReplyDelete