Monday, September 15, 2014

Focusing on the Positive

Construction is still going on in the front of my bungalow so I have not taken any photos of my roses or anything on the front porch.  Everything I managed to save after the landlords decided to pave over my side garden has taken well to either being moved to a new location on the patio and/or dug up out of the ground and placed in a pot.  It still saddens me to think of how much I lost.  They haven’t laid down the gravel yet, and I can see some of the plants they cut down trying to force their way up.  Unfortunately, someone stomped on them so they were flattened the day after I discovered them.

In addition to the construction, the landlords also cut down all the trees.  We now have no shade.  Have I mentioned it is 103 in Pasadena, California right now?

But enough of the negative and onto the positive.  As I am in this transition phase, I decided to do some reading.  I pulled out some old books I’ve had on my shelf that I hadn’t read in a while.  The first I pulled was Ellen Dugan’s “Garden Witch's Herbal: Green Magick, Herbalism & Spirituality”.  I started to skip around to refresh myself of its contents.  Then I thumbed to the chapter, “Garden Challenges and Starting Over”.  This really hit home with me and gave me hope that all magic wasn’t lost.  What perfect timing to open up this book and find this chapter.  It was just the inspiration I needed.  As Ellen puts it… “Where there’s a will there’s a way or…. Where there’s a witch, there’s a way to garden.”  I immediately started to see things a little differently after reading about her own trials and tribulations.

Moreover, this was the first weekend, even with the heatwave, that the garden felt like it was getting back into a groove and finding a balance.  I put together a small herb bouquet of oregano, thyme and mint and could feel the positive energy.  Couple this with the impatient hummingbirds fluttering above my head eager for breakfast at the newly relocated feeder (which I might add did not take them long to find), and for the first time, it felt like everything was going to be okay.

Later that evening I went around the front of the house and took a good long look.  Despite the ground being dug up and debris strewn about from the on-going construction, the remaining flowers seemed to be okay.  Most of the roses were blooming and the Valerian (which I’d dug out of the herb bed and placed in a pot) was still green and thriving.  One of the Angel Trumpets (Brugmansias) was starting to flower again just as if nothing had happened.  The other potted plants and flowers, while full of dust and somewhat displaced seemed to be all right.

Of course I will be VERY relieved when all of this is over, but for now, despite the transition, things are okay.

So without further adieu, here are a few photos I took recently of some of the flowers on the patio for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day hosted by May Dreams Gardens:

Forget Me Not
There are not many blooms on these anymore, but they do still put out a few dainty blue flowers here and there.
Pansies
Such happy flowers.  I am happy that these are surviving the heat wave.
Black Magic Petunia
I love their soft, velvety petals.
Orange Viola
These put me in the mood for Halloween!
Pansies
Columbine
Bee Balm
Cosmos.
Strawberries

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderfully positive attitude you have, Danielle. I know I would have been in tears! But you have some beautiful flowers for Bloom Day. The columbine and pansies blooming after the heat wave is just amazing! We are finally experiencing some cooler weather here. Not cool, just cooler! Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dorothy! Things seem to be falling in to place after the initial shock of losing so much of my garden. But things are looking up! Isn't it crazy with the Columbine? They haven't stopped blooming. I am not sure why because Pasadena hit 104 yesterday. The heat is miserable. The Pansies are brand new from the Nursery so I made sure I keep them nice and moist. We are still not out of the heat wave, but hopefully soon. I am so ready for Fall and decorating for Halloween in Fall colors! Happy Bloom Day! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, those sweet little forget-me-nots! All your blooms are lovely. Hang in there. Things will indeed fall into place and you'll be so glad when they do!

    ReplyDelete