Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Poppies and Poinsettia dominate the garden today.  The roses have gone quite after they just had a beautiful bloom.  Now the garden is filled with holiday colors... brilliant scarlet reds from Poinsettia and their rich dark green leaves together with white and yellow Poppies, snow white Alyssum and silver Dusty Miller set the scene for the magic of winter.











The Dusty Miller which grows up so tall and quick adds to the festivities.


The Alyssum provides fragrance.


And the dainty Violas (still blooming) will always be one of my favorites.





9 comments:

  1. I assume in Pasadena you are growing your poinsettias outdoors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, Yes. Although last week we did have a cold spell... down in the mid to upper 30s and I saw frost on the lawn. But yesterday it was 73 degrees. :)

      Delete
  2. I have always liked Dusty Miller. It seems to shine in the garden no matter what. It is also nice to see your Violas still blooming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, I love Dusty Miller. I planted it last year for a Moon Garden and mixed it in with white flowers. It looked beautiful under the light of the full moon.

      Delete
  3. My poinsettia hasn't bloomed yet ..:( Happy gbbd!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Icelandic poppies, and your dark red poinsettia is gorgeous. Here in London, poinsettias have to stay indoors and Icelandic poppies flower in the summer. I do have lots of other flowers though as we haven’t had any frost yet. Loved your photos, really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We actually had some frost here last week. Not too common in Southern California. Luckily the Poinsettia is still looking good. Thank you for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  5. Your poinsettia looks great, I'm having a hard time imagining it outdoors. The poppies and pansies are very cheerful, too. It's been unusually cold here too.

    ReplyDelete