Saturday, December 20, 2014

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day December 2015

It's been a busy month since the last Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, and it is the time of year when I take time off to concentrate on my photography.  This time of year you can usually find me at either Descanso Gardens or The Huntington Library, Art Collections & Botanical Gardens.  I am lucky to live just a short drive away from both of these magnificent gardens.  If you are interested in having a look at some of the images I've shot over the past several weeks, you can visit my Flickr Page Here.  

As for the latest goings on in my garden, the roses are blooming as usual and never fail to provide the front of my home with an abundance of color and beauty.  But my latest gardening project is that I have now decided to turn the patio area into an all herb garden.  

One of my favorite sections at the Huntington Botanical Gardens is their herb garden.  I've always been interested in many uses for herbs from medicinal to metaphysical to aromatic to culinary, so it just seemed natural that I should focus on this diverse group of plants valued for their contributions to science, history and even superstition.

Last month I posted many of the herbs I already have growing in my garden, but here are just a few photos of some of the latest I've added to my collection.

Chives - First time growing these.  Not sure why it took me so long!
Tarragon
Dill - Can't wait until these flower.
Apple Mint
Patchouli - Will be making incense with the leaves once this plant grows up a bit.
Mugwort - I got this picture just before I cut the aerial parts back for the winter.  It's already sprouting new growth up from the roots.
Deadheading the roses.  We don't need much to keep warm during the 
Fall/Winter months here in California.

3 comments:

  1. I love herbs and I have a few in pots around the garden, chives is probably what I grow most of and I keep cutting it through the summer and freeze it in a glass jar so I have plenty through the winter. The thyme is growing all year here in London so I can harvest whenever, which is great as I use a lot of that in cooking too. Basil is too tender so I miss it at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your gardens, all of them. Your potted roses look healthy and happy and your herbs look wonderful. I've really enjoyed your gardening posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, Thank you! The pots are a necessity since I am a renter, but it does make it quite easy to "redecorate" any time I feel the urge. :)

      Delete